Friday, June 6, 2008

Engineering

As the results of IIT,AIEEE and and of course BITSAT(the only engineering entrance examination in INDIA which gives on the spot scores) are out,people have started inquiring about the cut-offs for various branches and colleges.Although students with very good ranks do not waste their time in inquiring about other colleges,students with a mediocre rank in JEE are the most confused,I suppose.They can't decide whether to go for the brand-name IIT or for their penchant branch,in any other college.Is it better not to be selected for IIT than getting an under 2500 rank?

Mohit called me and quickly briefed me all the options he had.He expected me to suggest him the best of the options in one go.How could I do that?Means there should be some basis.His interests,his passions,his life and he wanted me to direct it.I told him,I needed to talk to him.By the way,how would a 17 year old know,what to go for in an engineering college.Its a tough decision.Even I,after being surrounded by engineers and to-be-engineers for two long years and after studying some courses of all the disciplines,if given a choice to select an engineering stream,would be a difficult task for me.But atleast,I know what I can do and makes me sleep.And here comes the solution.

Mohit's BITSAT score is 265,4100+ in AIEEE.I had to suggest him something.I discussed the situation with my friends.It was a good discussion,outside the cafeteria,with cool breeze blowing and nobody feeling the bite of mozzies(mosquitoes,recently completed reading Chetan Bhagat's third book) as everybody was so involved in the discussion.Some of us argued that following the trend was the best option.But I was totally against the system.According to me,trend follows placement and should one go for a discipline because it pays you the highest.Should a top scorer in BITSAT go for Computer Science just because it has the best placement stats.What if he gets screwed up writing C-codes and even gets stuck-up with the hardware.Then scoring a 10 and making a transfer is the only solution,which remains a dream for most.

I had a soluton,though it surely needs amendments.The first year of the engineering program should cover two courses from every discipline and then based on the performance in those courses and the preferences of the students,branches should be alloted to the students.Secondly,colleges should stop disclosing their placement stats.This will help the students a lot.

1 comment:

ANKUR said...

actually you are right because its really tough for students to decide which field is best for them.The culture in india is like that only...things need to change..